Inside: If drinking water is so easy, why is it so hard to get enough? Read on for the best way to drink water without it feeling like a chore. Plus, download a bonus water consumption tracker printable sticker sheet!
Who wants to have glowing skin and a sharp mind?
How about easier weight loss and great digestion?
If you answered yes, let’s all hoist a great big glass of ice water and toast to the benefits of drinking water! Drinking enough water can be one of the easiest self care strategies you can do for yourself.
Tip: Scroll to the end of the post to get the password to my resource library and download my free printable water tracker consumption sticker sheet, so you can start making sure you’re getting enough water each day!
Benefits of Staying Hydrated
There are so many benefits to drinking water! Here are a few reasons that I personally make sure to get my daily ounces of water in.
Increased energy and concentration: Your brain is mostly water so keeping it hydrated is one of the best ways to increase alertness and get rid of that brain fog. Drinking water is especially important in the morning since you haven’t had fluid for several hours. Make sure you get that water in before you put the coffee on!
Flush out Toxins and Stay Regular: Water keeps your internal filtering system humming along. Drinking enough water also prevents constipation.
Fewer headaches: Drinking water fights dehydration, a common cause of headaches. Nine times out of ten, when I get a headache, it’s because I’ve forgotten to drink enough water.
Improved Complexion: When you’re properly hydrated, your skin will be clearer and plumper so you’ll look younger, and who doesn’t love that!
Helps with Weight Loss: Drinking water helps reduce hunger, fills you up and helps flush out the by-products of fat loss if you’re trying to slim down.
How much Water Should I Drink each Day?
For such a simple question, there’s no easy answer. The Mayo Clinic recommends a daily 11.5 cups for women and 15.5 cups for men. The amount of water you need really depends on your individual needs and your level of activity.
I like to take my body weight in pounds and divide it by two to get the number of ounces I try to drink per day. So, for example, if I weighed 200 pounds, I’d try to take in 100 ounces of water a day (200/2). And always make sure to drink more before and after exercise. I always take along water when I go out for my morning or evening walks.
Best Way to Drink Water
- Drink 16 ounces first thing in the morning. It helps wake you up, activates your internal organs, and can fight the overnight dehydration that comes with a long sleep. I think this is the best way to drink water. I like to squeeze a half a lemon into my water. I drink mine as soon as I get up. I let the dogs out, drink my water and then grab their leashes for a quick morning walk. I really try to get that water in before I reach for a cup of coffee or tea each morning.
- 8 ounces 30 minutes before each meal. It helps with digestion and can also make you feel full so you don’t overeat at meals.
- When you’re feeling hungry or bored, try a glass of water first – you might just be dehydrated.
So that’s 5 glasses of water!
More fun ways to get more water in your day
- Make it fun: Track it! Add a cute sticker to your calendar or planner and check off your water intake. Download your free sticker sheet below and get tracking!
- Make it tasty: Add a slice of lemon, a squeeze of lime, a few sprigs of fresh mint or a cucumber or orange slice. Slice up some strawberries. It adds a bit of flavor and makes it pretty to boot!
- Drink it in style: Get yourself a Hydro Flask (affiliate link) or a cute cup with a straw that makes you smile. I love my Hydro Flask. My kids bought it for me for Christmas and I use it every day. I have the 32-ounce wide mouth version with the BPA Free Straw and lid. I always have it with me. This keeps my water icy cold even in a hot car. The wide mouth makes it easy to fill with ice and clean. I have one at my desk all the time – I even put it on my nightstand when I go to sleep. I love having cold ice water ready to sip when I get thirsty in the middle of the night.
- Get fizzy with it: Pour some sparkling water over ice, add a slice of lime and pretend you’re having a cocktail. It really is refreshing.
What is the best way to drink water?
The best way to drink water is any way you can get yourself to drink it! Make it a habit first thing in the morning and with meals. Make it fun by tracking your progress, adding some delicious additions, or treating yourself with a cute cup or container. Your health will thank you for it!
Want my free printable water consumption tracker sticker sheet?
Get the password for my resource library to download a printable water tracker sticker sheet and start getting enough water in your day by filling out this form: