If drinking water is so easy, why is it so hard to get enough? Read on for easy tips to drink more water without it feeling like a chore. Plus, download a bonus water intake tracker sheet!
(This post may contain affiliate links. My full disclosure policy is sort of boring, but you can find it here.)
Drink More Water: The Whys and Hows
Who wants to have glowing skin and a sharp mind?
How about easier weight loss and great digestion?
Me, me, me !!!
If you answered yes, let’s all hoist a great big glass of ice water and toast to the benefits of drinking water! Drinking enough water can be one of the easiest self care strategies you can do for yourself.
The Whys: Benefits of Staying Hydrated
There are so many benefits to drinking water! Here are a few reasons that I personally make sure to get my daily ounces of water in.
Increased energy and concentration: Your brain is mostly water so keeping it hydrated is one of the best ways to increase alertness and get rid of that brain fog.
Drinking water is especially important in the morning since you haven’t had fluid for several hours. Make sure you get that water in before you put the coffee on!
Flush out Toxins and Stay Regular: Water keeps your internal filtering system humming along. Drinking enough water also prevents constipation, and helps make sure all your organs are functioning at their best.
Fewer headaches: Drinking water fights dehydration, a common cause of headaches. Nine times out of ten, when I get a headache, it’s because I’ve forgotten to drink enough water. If you suffer from headaches, check your water consumption first before you start popping the advil.
Improved Complexion: When you’re properly hydrated, your skin will be clearer and plumper so you’ll look younger, and who doesn’t love that! I always imagine my skin glowing just a little bit brighter with every glass of water I drink.
Helps with Weight Loss: Even if you’re on what you think is the best diet for women ever, drinking water helps reduce hunger, fills you up and helps flush out the by-products of fat loss if you’re trying to slim down. Your liver and kidneys work best with plenty of water to help them do their detox-weight-loss work. Detox water recipes are easy to make, taste amazing and help you debloat and lose weight.
How much Water Should I Drink each Day?
For such a simple question, there’s no easy answer. The Mayo Clinic recommends a daily 11.5 cups for women and 15.5 cups for men. The amount of water you need really depends on your individual needs and your level of activity.
I like to take my body weight in pounds and divide it by two to get the number of ounces I try to drink per day. So, for example, if I weighed 200 pounds, I’d try to take in 100 ounces of water a day (200/2). And always make sure to drink more before and after exercise. I always take along a refillable water bottle when I go to the gym or head out for my morning or evening walks.
One interesting fact I learned: By the time you are actually feeling thirsty, you are probably already dehydrated! So don’t wait to feel that thirst – fill up your glass and drink before you think you need to – your body will thank you!
How to Drink More Water
- Drink 16 ounces first thing in the morning. It helps wake you up, activates your internal organs, and can fight the overnight dehydration that comes with a long sleep.I think drinking that first glass of water in the morning is the best way to drink water. I like to squeeze a half a lemon into my morning water. I drink mine as soon as I get up. I let the dogs out, drink my water and then grab their leashes for a quick morning walk.I really try to get that water in before I reach for a cup of coffee or tea each morning. Remember that the caffeine in tea and coffee are actually dehydrating so they don’t count toward your daily fluid intake.
- 8 ounces 30 minutes before each meal. It helps with digestion and can also make you feel full so you don’t overeat at meals.
- When you’re feeling hungry or bored, try a glass of water first – you might just be dehydrated.
So that’s 5 glasses of water already! That’s well on your way to getting all your water in.
Need a few more ideas? Here are some other fun and creative ways to get the rest of your daily water requirement in.
Fun ways to Drink More Water
- Make it fun: Track it! Add a cute sticker to your calendar or planner and check off your water intake. Download your water intake tracker below and get tracking!
- Make it tasty: Whip up one of my favorite detox water recipes. Add a slice of lemon, a squeeze of lime, a few sprigs of fresh mint or a cucumber or orange slice. Slice up some strawberries. It adds a bit of flavor and makes it pretty to boot!
- Drink it in style: Get yourself a Hydro Flask or a cool marked water bottle that keeps you motivated to drink all day long. I love my Hydro Flask. My kids bought it for me for Christmas and I use it every day. I have the 32-ounce wide mouth version with the BPA Free Straw and lid. I always have it with me. This keeps my water icy cold even in a hot car. The wide mouth makes it easy to fill with ice and clean. I have one at my desk all the time – I even put it on my nightstand when I go to sleep. I love having cold ice water ready to sip when I get thirsty in the middle of the night. You can get different lids, tops, and straws for your Hydro Flask too!
- Get fizzy with it: Pour some sparkling water over ice, add a slice of lime and pretend you’re having a cocktail. It really is refreshing and it’s a great way to drink more water.
- Keep it cold! I always have a pitcher of ice water in my refrigerator to top off my glass. Cold water tastes so much better to me drinking it straight out of the fridge really helps me drink more each day. Even though I have a refrigerator water dispenser, it isn’t quite cold enough for me as is!
What is the best way to drink more water?
The best way to drink more water is any way you can sneak more into your day! Make it a habit first thing in the morning and with meals. Make it fun by tracking your progress, adding some delicious additions, or treating yourself with a cute cup or container. Your health will thank you for it!
Want a free water intake tracker to help you drink more water?
Get the password for my resource library to download your printable water intake tracker and start getting enough water in your day by filling out this form:
Want to Remember This? Save this Easy Ways to Drink More Water Pin to your Favorite Healthy Living Pinterest Board and pass it on!